Physiotherapy & Exercise
Did you know that your physiotherapist is an expert in the prescription of exercise appropriate to you and your injury or fitness level.
As a part of their physiotherapy training, your physiotherapist not only is educated in injury diagnosis but also in exercise physiology or the science of exercise. This enables your physiotherapist to not only assess and diagnose your injury but also to prescribe injury, fitness or age-appropriate exercises targeted to you at that point in time.
It is important that your exercises should not be painful. While some personal trainers believe that the more painful the better, this is not the best for your body or injury.
In fact, research does inform us that pain inhibits muscles from performing to their optimum. This argues the case that painful exercise is actually counter-productive.
You'll find that your physiotherapist will thoroughly examine you and prescribe a series of exercises suitable for you in quantities that will not injure you further. Please seek an exercise expert when you are planning your rehabilitation.
Without some simple exercises, we know that certain muscles can become weak. When these supporting muscles are weak, your injured structures are inadequately supported and predispose you to lingering symptoms or further injury. You can also over-activate adjacent muscles that may lead to further injury.
It is also important to understand that even if you are "in good
shape," you may have important but weak localised or stability muscles. When you have an injury,
you should perform specific exercises that specifically strengthen the
muscles around your injury and the adjacent joints. Your physiotherapist will assess your muscle function and prescribe the right exercises specific for your needs.
The exercises prescribed will usually be relatively simple, and do not require any special weights equipment, and can be performed safely at home.
If you have any questions, please contact your Physio Works physiotherapist for your best care.
- 10 Elbow and Wrist Resistance Band Exercises
- 11 Hip and Knee Resistance Band Exercises
- 15 Lower Limb Resistance Band Exercises
- 38 Shoulder Exercises - Resistance Band Exercises
- 4 Ankle Resistance Band Exercises
- 48 Upper Limb Resistance Band Exercises
- 63 Resistance Band Exercises
- 88 Swiss Exercise Ball Exercises - Workout Your Whole Body!
- Back Pain - How to Get Rid of it Forever
- Exercise Ball Workout for Back Pain - 59 of the Best Exercises.
- Full Body Warm Up Stretches
- Swiss Ball - 26 Shoulder Exercises
- Swiss Ball - Abdominal Strengthening
- Swiss Ball - Hamstring, Buttock and Back Strength Exercises
- Swiss Ball - Knee Strengthening Exercises
- Swiss Ball - Lower Back Strengthening Exercises
- Swiss Ball - Upper Back Strengthening Exercises
- Using Your Brain to Get Rid of Your Pain (Book)
- Using Your Brain to Get Rid of Your Pain (CD)